Monday, July 16, 2018

Unfinished Projects

If you are an avid crafter, you can possibly relate to all the projects you started, but left unfinished and forgotten. I think I may have symptoms of Attention  Deficit Disorder when it comes to making anything that has too many steps to complete. And I confess that there is definitely one sock, or one glove that never got knitted because, well, let’s face it, after the first one was done, so was my attention and interest to knit the other one.


Part of my dilemma is simply explained by the fact, that I will get so excited about a new pattern to try, or a new idea to experiment, but if it takes too long to complete, or there are too many steps to take to see the finished results, I just put it aside and never reach for it again. I love those projects that I can complete in a day. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I can see the fruit of my labor by days  end.

Many years ago I opened a small Counted Cross Stitch shop in the community of Waimea, on the Big Island of Hawaii. I absolutely loved my little shop. I held many classes and taught young and old the craft of cross stitching. Many of my students went on to stitch beautiful, intricate pieces with the final results looking like framed works of art worthy of being hung in any gallery. Me, the tutor of such work, was never able to complete anything bigger than a 3 x 5 image. I started the little piece below sometime in the 1990’s and it is still waiting patiently for the finishing touches. (I should have titled this blog confessions of a crafter)

This next picture is a sweater I started knitting last winter. It is not only my first time to knit something larger than a headband, I am actually on the 2nd sleeve and almost done. Please pray for me......I haven’t picked it up for awhile. But in my defense, hot summers is not knitting weather. My goal is to complete this sweater, just out of sheer determination to prove to myself and the world that I can.

I would like to conclude by saying, that I often feel like an unfinished project myself. There are days that I wish I had more knowledge on how to walk this walk of life and how to just simply be a better wife, mother, daughter , friend......person. I feel like I do not always have everything I need to be all those things. Then God reminds me that he is not finished with me yet. I just need to make the most of every day I have, being the very best I can be. I love this promise in scripture from Phillipians 1:6.....”He that began a good work in you, will bring it to completion......”

Have a blessed day, hope you all get to finish some projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment